The Blauwe Toren
In 1461, Duke Charles of Burgundy (known as “Karel de Stoute” in Dutch) ordered the extension of the castle complex on the outskirts of Gorinchem. A major and prestigious project, of which two towers were actually completed. The largest of the two was covered with Arduin (Blue Stone), which is how this imposing structure got its nickname. In 1578 the tower was razed to make room for Gorinchem’s new fortress. The tower stones were used in the construction of this fortress, which is still virtually entirely intact today. The remaining ruins of the castle complex disappeared into the ground. During the building of Hotel Karel de Stoute a part of the castle wall and tower were discovered. These ruins provide a good picture of the size of the complex and really speak to the imagination.